Book of Candidate Categories
The categories of MLC candidates included in the Book of Candidates are as follows:
Available for Assignment
These are candidates who have been presented to the church by MLC and are available for assignment anywhere. A husband and wife (if eligible) may both stand for assignment with one usually being placed and the other "following" the spouse to his/her assignment. Some candidates may have a limit to the length of the assignment (e.g., marriage plans).
These are candidates who have been presented to the church by MLC, but are declining to be assigned at this time. This means that the graduate does not wish to and therefore will not
- be considered or approved for call lists presented to calling bodies by the District Presidents.
- be eligible to be assigned by the Assignment Committee. If at a later date candidates wish to become eligible for a call from the field they will be required to speak with the district president of the district in which they reside.
These are candidates who have been presented to the church by MLC but have asked that their assignment be deferred to a later date (e.g., those who wish to serve through "Friends of China" for one or more years, those who wish to pursue an advanced degree with a view of still teaching in our WELS educational system). This means
- that a graduate is asking not to be considered for assignment to a call for the upcoming school year.
- that the time of deferment is understood to be one year but may be extended at the request of a graduate made to the Assignment Committee.
- that the graduate plans to return to the Assignment Committee the following year.
- that the graduate is not eligible to be called during the time of deferment.
- that if the graduate wants to withdraw his/her request, that desire is to be expressed to the president of the district in which the graduate currently resides.
- that after the completion of a third year of deferral in order to be eligible for assignment a teacher candidate will be required to commit to the recertification process.
Unavailable for Assignment
These are candidates (male or female) who have been presented to the church by MLC but:
- have not yet fulfilled all of the requirements necessary for assignment.
- have legitimate and compelling reasons that limit his/her availability for assignment (e.g. study, marriage);
- will not be considered for assignment to a call; and
- may be considered for call lists presented to calling bodies in the limited area specified by the graduate.