Book of Candidates Categories
The categories of MLC candidates included in the Book of Candidates are as follows:
Available for Assignment
Candidates in this category are available for assignment anywhere. A husband and wife may both stand for assignment (if eligible) with one usually being placed and the other "following" the spouse to his/her assignment. Some candidates may have a limit to the length of the assignment (e.g., marriage plans, candidates with visas).
Delayed Availability for Assignment
Candidates in this category have pending graduation requirements. For example, some candidates need to take summer coursework. They will not be assigned until they have been awarded their diplomas.
Candidates in this category are declining to be assigned at this time. This means that the graduate does not wish to and therefore
- will not be considered or approved for call lists presented to calling bodies by the District Presidents.
- will not be eligible to be assigned by the Assignment Committee. If, at a time three or more years after graduation, candidates wish to become eligible for a call from the field, they will be required to speak with the district president of the district in which they reside. If candidates should change their minds within three years of graduation, they should request to be made available for assignment.
Candidates in this category are requesting that their assignment be deferred to a later date (e.g., those who wish to serve through Friends of China, those who wish to pursue an advanced degree before teaching in our WELS educational system). This means
- that a graduate is asking not to be considered for assignment to a call for the upcoming school year.
- that the time of deferment is understood to be one year but may be extended at the request of a graduate made to the Assignment Committee.
- that the graduate plans to return to the Assignment Committee the following year.
- that the graduate is not eligible to be called during the time of deferment.
- that if the graduate wants to withdraw his/her request, that desire is to be expressed to the president of the district in which the graduate currently resides.
- that after the completion of a third year of deferral in order to be eligible for assignment a teacher candidate will be required to commit to the recertification process.
Available for a Limited Call
Candidates in this category are unable to stand for assignment because of legitimate and compelling reasons (e.g., marriage). This means
- that the graduate will not be considered for assignment now or in the future.
- that the graduate may be considered for call lists presented to calling bodies in the limited area specified by the graduate.