Tips for Online Advising
Martin Luther College faculty members and adjunct faculty members serve as graduate advisors. Advising responsibilities include the following.
• Upon assignment of an advisee, contact the advisee to get acquainted and to clarify the advisee’s goals.
• Contact the advisee a minimum of once a year to check in with the advisee.
Your advice might include the following:
• Advise course selection
• Monitor student’s progress
• Encourage student
• Give advice regarding the student’s decision to complete a comprehensive examination or capstone project decision
• Give advice regarding student’s committee members
• Give advice regarding the capstone project proposal (if applicable)
• Guide the student’s IRB application (if applicable)
• Guide the capstone project (if applicable) so project meets graduate-level standards
• Serve as chair of advisee’s capstone project committee
• If at all possible, attend advisee’s graduation