Need-Based Financial Aid
The MLC Master's Grant is only available to MLC graduate students who are certified to serve in the WELS/ELS public ministry. Those eligible for this assistance must currently hold a call as a public minister or intend, as God wills, to hold such a position in the future. Graduate students are expected to look first to their calling body for any assistance needed. That avenue for support must be exhausted before application for need-based financial aid.
How to Apply
WELS/ELS called workers for whom costs prevent their participation in the MLC graduate studies program are encouraged to apply for need-based financial assistance. Please follow the procedures below.
- The first source of financial assistance is your calling body, if you have one. Request their financial support, pointing out the benefits of continuing education to both their ministry and your service in their midst.
- Complete the MLC Master's Grant application in accord with the guidelines below, and send it along with the required documentation to the address on the form.
- You will be notified via email of the amount of an award, if any. Please allow up to three weeks.
Guidelines for the MLC Master's Grant Program
To be eligible for financial aid the student must . . .
- be an MLC graduate student.
- submit a properly completed application. Applications will be accepted between July 15 and the first day of the fall semester for fall courses, between October 15 and the first day of the spring semester for spring courses, and between February 15 and the first day of the summer semester for summer courses. (Only one application is necessary each academic year. If the student applies for the fall semester, that application will also make the student eligible for the spring and summer semesters.)
- comply fully with all requests for verification to be eligible. These requests may include information regarding income, expenses, etc.
- seek assistance from his or her calling body, if applicable, before applying for the MLC Master’s Grant.
Distribution of financial aid
- Grants will be awarded to students on a first-come, first-served basis, according to the date of a properly completed application form. Awarding priority is established each academic year, beginning April 1.
- The grant amount will be determined using federal income tax information and procedures used and sanctioned by the U.S. government to award need-based assistance to undergraduates.
- Funds will be distributed until they are no longer available. If, after being depleted, additional funds become available, the awarding will continue in that academic year based first upon the previously dated, but not awarded, applications.
- Grants will not cover the entire expense of coursework. Each student who qualifies for financial aid through the MLC Master’s Grant will be required to pay a minimum amount of one graduate credit per course.