Educational Technology Certificate
The Martin Luther College (MLC) Educational Technology Certificate Program (ETC Program) is designed for teachers in schools seeking to develop skills and strategies for integrating technology into a variety of PreK-College curricular settings. The intent of this program is to foster a real connection between technology and learning. Participants that successfully complete the program will demonstrate proficiency in the use of computers and computer based technologies to support problem solving, data mining and collection, information sharing, and decision-making. Completion of this program will also introduce participants to educationally pertinent media literacy, ethical standards and legal issues.
Participants who complete 15 credits of ETC Program coursework are issued an Educational Technology Certificate through MLC. Those that complete the program can use the certificate in a variety of fields; as a scholastic technology consultant, a dynamic lead instructor, an administrative specialist, or as an educational technology coordinator. ETC courses can also be used to build a foundation for the Masters of Science in Education program offered through MLC.
While the ETC Program is not a degree granting program, those who are already certified teachers can use the certificate to demonstrate that they are qualified to teach and lead in an environment where technology and education coexist.
All courses will be available through online instruction, but occasionally face-to-face or hybrid options might be offered too.
The Educational Technology Certificate Program goals are aligned with the Martin Luther College's overall mission objectives of carrying out all instruction and programs of student life according to the gospel as revealed in the inspired Word of God. Through its programs the college desires:
- to strengthen the student in a consecrated spirit of love for God and his Word;
- to educate the whole person for faithful, capable, intelligent citizenship in today’s world;
- to assist the student in acquiring the knowledge, attitudes, and skills needed for service in the church and for lifelong learning; and
- to encourage the student in developing and demonstrating a heart for service in the church, community, and world.
In addition to the above mentioned objectives, the Educational Technology Certificate Program and its faculty will aid its participants in:
- Supplementing teacher resources and enhance student achievement through the development of new instructional methodologies
- Fostering the use and deployment of innovative uses for emerging technologies
- Using higher-level learning activities to create understanding and practice in the implementation of new and dynamic technologies
- Collaborating with peers, the community and schools in a technology driven structure.